Monday, April 13, 2015
The Spring/Summer List
I've found I'm a less stressed and happier shopper (and person) when I have an idea of what I'm looking for, and I have a more cohesive wardrobe that makes me happier if I'm deliberate in what I choose to wear. So, I make A List. This is not a so-called "shopping challenge, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm still learning when it comes to ethically sourced shopping and the like, but I try. It is also not a hard set of rules that I may never purchase anything Not On The List. It just helps me sort through what I want, so I don't dither about purchases or, on the opposite extreme, impulse buy. With this, I can focus on getting what makes me- and my wardrobe and my life- happy! You can see my previous lists for winter 2014, summer 2014 and fall/winter 2013. Here is what I'm looking for for the summer and spring of 2015:
1) Nude Colored Blazer- Story time: last summer I got the coolest beige/blush/nude/whatever-that-color-is blazer at a little boutique while traveling. It was long, and had sleeves that were black to just above the elbows. Oh, I felt so effortlessly awesome wearing it, and it worked for downtime and work-time. Feel free to image the heart-shaped eyes that I made at this blazer. I loved it.... So must of whom ever found it and took it with them instead of returning it to a lost and found after this blazer got lost.... I'm still looking for a replacement. Because- Cool, that's why.
2) Circle Skirt- This winter my silhouette has pretty much been skinny or cigarette pants, but as summer starts to approach, I took a close look at what I really loved to wear. Through out the entirety of Never Fully Dressed's existence, I always returned time and again to circle skirts. They are beat the heat, and just as re-mixable as pants. This one pictured above has a fun novelty print of Venice on it, but is sadly sold out, so I'm keeping my eye out for Mr. Right (Skirt).
3) Black Cigarette Pants- I wear black pants All. The. Time at work, but a few weeks ago mine got ripped and since this would make the third time of mending, I decided these pants needed to head to the closet in the sky. How I underestimated the impact of that decision! My wardrobe feels crippled without a pair, but finding ones that fit just right is harder than it sounds! Especially with all these leggings masquerading as pants (I mean, c'mon. I've nothing against leggings, but if that's what you are say so!) You can see some of the myriad of outfits I've made with black pants here and here.
4) Printed Shorts- One of the best tips, for deciding what needs to be on your shopping list, is to look at what you actually wore and enjoyed in the past. Last summer, I practically lived in shorts. Truth is though, I didn't have nearly enough functional pairs to really do that. Technically, I had four pairs, which ought to be enough for anyone, but when I contracted diabetes, I lost a lot of weight (this was not a good thing. If untreated, you literally starve to death because your body can't process the food right. And yes, I've had people tell me they wished that would happen to them, just suddenly losing weight like that. No. You don't.) and several things didn't fit anymore. But I just sort of ignored that and kept unfitting items in my closet on the pretext I might some time wear them. Not this year. So out they go! In will come a new pair or two of shorts. I'm thinking a printed pair might be fun, or a solid color. Thoughts?
5) Shirts- This list will be the third or so shopping list shared on NFD, and the biggest difference with this one is how many items on it will be replacements for worn out items. Maybe it is a bit boring that they are plain shirts and not daring cuts or- even better- fabulous dresses, but it is important to have a good foundation to lay all those other pieces on. All shirts on this list would pretty much fill that function. A white T-shirt, and a white button-up have both proven their worth to me, but it is time for new versions. I'm also in the market for some solid colored shirts and tanks. Summer gets scorchin'.
6) Shoes- Last but not least on my list are shoes. Not just any shoes but the kind I can kick around in. Mostly I gravitate towards ballet flats, or, as The Boy calls them, "wrappers for my feet" shoes. Sneakers? Not my thing. But we live in the great outdoors and I need something with a bit more protection and endurance. While I probably wouldn't go on a five mile hike in these converses (or ever, really), I would take the dogs for a walk around a lake with them, so let's kick it this summer in some tennis shoes with style!
What is on your list for summer and spring wardrobe items?