If you've been reading long, you'll know I'm a big advocate of having a wardrobe that suits your needed, can be remixed and functioning without giving you a headache. I've even shared 20 things every woman needs in her closet, and talked about how to pick a skirt that remixes. So for a new perspective I've asked these ladies- and now I'm asking you too!- what are 5 things every woman's closet needs?
When I think of the essential items to have in my closet, it becomes difficult to narrow it down to five! (Although comfortable walking shoes would probably top the list). For a summer beach trip, however, I can immediately tell you my five most important items.
1. A comfortable bathing suit.
2. A straw hat with a medium to wide brim.
3. A cotton sundress that can be thrown on to create practically a whole outfit.
4. A comfortable pair of water-proof sandals. (For long walks, I prefer a sandal that doesn't go between my toes).
5. Sunnies that block UVB and UVA rays.
With these five essential items, I'm ready to hit the beach!
Sammi of Soubrette Brunette shares:
Narrowing down the wardrobe necessities to only five is never easy! Because I usually make my dresses the main focus of my ensembles, I tend to go a little more subdued with my footwear. Therefore, my #1 necessity is a good pair of neutral ballet flats! I have black and white pairs that I wear all the time, and they look great with most things in my closet. #2 would have to be at least one or two cardigans that can go with much of your wardrobe (I'm always cold, and I love layering!). #3 for me has to be a good quality vintage day dress that can be dressed up or down. There's just something special about a versatile vintage dress that fits you well! #4 should be a hat you love (and one you look good in) -- whether it's a boater, a beret or a beanie. And #5 should simply be a piece that always makes you feel like the amazing, attractive person you are! Personally, I'd probably choose a pair of high-waisted skinny jeans, but it can be anything that makes you instantly feel good the moment you put it on. The right clothes can be like magic, and when you find a piece that makes you feel confident and awesome, you should never let that go!
Rita of Fashion Pas says:
This is a good one! The first thing that has really been on my mind lately is a pair of leather boots. Whether you like to walk to work when it rains, or simply enjoy the extra layer of warmth in the Winter, good quality boots are essential to get you through. Second on my list has to be my personal favourite basic - a striped shirt, like Popbasic's Le Breton, for instance. Risking starting a bit of a French/rainy season theme here, my third item will have to be a trench coat. I just think it automatically makes any outfit look very chic. Plus, it's practical without being too informal. At number four on my list, a tailored blazer. I won't say "black" - my current favourite is emerald but that's what works for me. Finally, one of the top five items I think every girl should have in her wardrobe is confidence. Honestly, whatever you wear, do it with confidence and you'll look and feel amazing. I won't deny it may be a learned skill, but the more you practice, the better you get at it! Enjoy!
Suzanne of Suzanne Carillo writes:
Narrowing it down to just 5 items is like trying to pick your favourite child. I've chosen the five items that I personally wear the most in my wardrobe which I felt would make the best basic wardrobe starter pieces. Each is a classic on it's own and yet each can be worn in a vast number of ways, either dressed up or dressed down. These are pieces that every woman should own, regardless of age.
- Wrap dress - They fit and flatter every shape of woman, are classic, sexy and will never go out of style.
- Well Fitted Dark Wash Jeans - Unlike the skinny or distressed jeans these "plain jane" dark wash straight legged jeans will never look out of place.
- Fitted Blazer - Classic and stylish no matter what you pair it with (mine is in leather).
- Pencil skirt - This is a throw back to my love of all things vintage. These can look fantastic on any figure as long as they fit correctly.
- Cashmere sweater - Cashmere comes in many different weights, so it can even be worn in summer. It won't pill, is the ideal travel companion and ensures you always look polished.